Uh-oh, you're using an unsupported browser.
To view the screenshot gallery, upgrade to the latest version of either Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari.
Mario Serves Up Portable Tennis Fun in 3D
In Mario Tennis Open, Mario and his Mushroom Kingdom friends return to the court for a flurry of intense tennis action, from engaging singles and doubles matches to skill-building Special Games and online play. Using the built-in wireless features of the Nintendo 3DS system, up to four people can play together in local* or online** multiplayer modes and exchange player information via StreetPass. Players can choose between intuitive Touch Screen and gyro sensor controls or strategic button-based gameplay that delivers an even deeper experience. Players can also choose from a variety of playable characters or use their own personalized Mii character as they serve, volley and smash their way up the leaderboards.
- As many as four players can connect online with their friends for singles or doubles matches. Additionally, Open Match mode can automatically pair players of comparable skill levels. Nintendo 3DS owners who are near each other can also face off via a local wireless connection, even if only one player has a Mario Tennis Open game card.
- Strategy is key as players execute lobs and drop shots or unleash powerful topspin to outlast their opponents in intense rallies. When Chance Areas appear on the court during a match, players can run to them to execute a supercharged Chance Shot. Intuitive Touch Screen controls allow players to easily and skillfully perform different swings. Players can also choose to use the motion controls of the Nintendo 3DS system to precisely shoot to the left or the right in order to ace their opponents.
- Using the Nintendo 3DS system’s StreetPass feature, Mario Tennis Open players can exchange and show off their customized Mii characters and incorporate them into Special Games or competitive singles matches.
* Additional Nintendo 3DS systems are required for local multiplayer
** Broadband Internet access is required for online play.
- Nintendo 3DS
- Release Date
- May 20, 2012
- No. of Players
- up to 4 players
- Sports, Tennis
- CAMELOT Co., Ltd.
* MSRP: Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Actual price may vary. See retailer for details.
To enjoy the 3D effect of Nintendo 3DS software, you must experience it from the system itself. All screenshots and videos on this website have been captured in 2D mode.
Use Parental Controls to restrict 3D mode for children 6 and under.
* If eligible for a Just for You offer, the final price reflects the combined Sale and Just for You offers. The Just for You offer is discounted from the sale price.
Questions about buying digital games?
To purchase digital games directly from Nintendo.com and send them to your Nintendo system, you'll need a Nintendo Account. For Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, you'll also need to link your Nintendo Account with your Nintendo Network ID.
For step-by-step instructions by system, please click here.
You'll need a Nintendo Switch, Wii U, or Nintendo 3DS family system, a Nintendo Account (registered for use in the U.S. or Canada), Internet connection, and Nintendo eShop access to download the game once you've purchased it.
For help downloading a game, click here.
Yes. As long as you have signed up for My Nintendo before you purchase the game, your game will qualify for My Nintendo Points. My Nintendo Points are automatically awarded to the Nintendo Account that was used to purchase the game. (Please note that DLC items, passes, and themes do not qualify for My Nintendo Points.)
To see your My Nintendo points balance:
- Visit http://my.nintendo.com
- Select "Sign in."
- Sign in to your Nintendo Account.
Once you're signed in, you can review your My Nintendo points balance and history, check out the latest My Nintendo rewards, and view active missions you can complete to earn My Nintendo points.
You may also use My Nintendo Gold Points to purchase games for Nintendo Switch. Learn more about Gold Points.
For additional help with My Nintendo, please visit our support site.
Download codes are codes for specific digital games or content for Nintendo Switch™, Wii U™ or the Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems.
You can redeem your code here and send the content directly to your system.