Step into a world of adventure
Forget everything you know about The Legend of Zelda games. Step into a world of discovery, exploration, and adventure in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, a boundary-breaking new game in the acclaimed series. Travel across vast fields, through forests, and to mountain peaks as you discover what has become of the kingdom of Hyrule In this stunning Open-Air Adventure. Now on Nintendo Switch, your journey is freer and more open than ever. Take your system anywhere, and adventure as Link any way you like.
- Explore the wilds of Hyrule any way you like—anytime, anywhere! - Climb up towers and mountain peaks in search of new destinations, then set your own path to get there and plunge into the wilderness. Along the way, you'll battle towering enemies, hunt wild beasts and gather ingredients for the food and elixirs you'll make to sustain you on your journey. With Nintendo Switch, you can literally take your journey anywhere.
- More than 100 Shrines of Trials to discover and explore - Shrines dot the landscape, waiting to be discovered in any order you want. Search for them in various ways, and solve a variety of puzzles inside. The tasks you must perform in each Shrine varies, and you'll never expect the challenges you'll face until you enter. Some will involve realistic physics, and some will require you to harness the power of nature, including electricity, wind, fire, and more. Work your way through the traps and devices inside, utilizing your runes and think outside the box to earn special items and other rewards that will help you on your adventure.
- Be prepared and properly equipped – With an entire world waiting to be explored, you'll need a variety of outfits and gear to reach every corner. You may need to bundle up with warmer clothes or change into something better suited to the desert heat. Some clothing even has special effects that, for example, can make you faster or stealthier.
- Battling enemies requires strategy – The world is inhabited with enemies of all shapes and sizes. Each one has its own attack method and weaponry, so you must think quickly and develop the right strategies to defeat them.
- amiibo compatibility – The Wolf Link amiibo from Twilight Princess HD, the Zelda 30th Anniversary series amiibo, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild series amiibo are all compatible with this game. Tap the Wolf Link amiibo (sold separately) to make Wolf Link appear in the game. Wolf Link will attack enemies on his own and help you find items you’re searching for. Tap a Zelda 30th Anniversary series amiibo to receive helpful in-game items or even a treasure chest!
- Nintendo Switch
- Release Date
- Mar 02, 2017
- No. of Players
- 1 player
- File Size
- 14.4 GB
- Adventure, Action, Undefined
- Supported Play Modes:
Get even more from your games with a Nintendo Switch Online membership.
This paid service gives you access to online play, a selection of NES™ games, cloud backup for your save data in compatible games, and more.
Learn more and sign up >
Did you purchase Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers? Redeem one for the digital version of this game. Learn more >
Paid Nintendo Switch Online membership required at the time of purchase and redemption of the Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers. The Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers must be redeemed within 12 months from purchase date, have no cash value and cannot be transferred, returned or redeemed for cash. Each Nintendo Switch Game Voucher may be redeemed for one game offered as part of the catalog. To receive promotional value, at least one Voucher must be redeemed for a game priced at $59.99 or above at time of redemption. The Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers may not be combined with any other sale, discount, or promotional offer unless otherwise specified.
*MSRP: Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Actual price may vary. See retailer for details.
*If eligible for a Just for You offer, the final price reflects the combined Sale and Just for You offers. The Just for You offer is discounted from the sale price.
© 2017 Nintendo.
Full version of game required to use DLC.
A Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) is required for Save Data Cloud backup.
amiibo compatible game (software update may be required). Visit nintendo.com for details on amiibo functionality.
Extend your unforgettable adventure in Hyrule with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass. The Expansion Pass grants access to three new treasure chests and two DLC packs.
The Expansion Pass is available for both the Nintendo Switch and Wii U versions of the game.View DLC
Game and DLC bundle
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass Bundle
Released Dec 08, 2017DLC details
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game packs countless hours of play into a vast world of discovery. That makes it an ideal foundation for more adventures!
This special bundle comes with the full game for the Nintendo Switch system and the Expansion Pass, which grants access to three new treasure chests, The Master Trials DLC Pack 1, and The Champions Ballad DLC Pack 2.
The Master Trials DLC Pack 1 contains a new challenge called the Cave of Trials, a new Master mode, a new feature called Hero’s Path mode, and more.
The Champions Ballad DLC Pack 2 adds in a new dungeon, new story elements about the four Champions and Princess Zelda, plus even more challenges and shrines.
The Expansion Pass will also come with a variety of gear and armor items based on previous Legend of Zelda™ series games.
Indeed, a world as alive as Hyrule must grow with time. If you live for the thrill of discovery, look no further: this Expansion Pass is the stuff of legends.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass
Released Mar 02, 2017DLC details
The expansion pass enables you to pre-purchase content. The content below will be included:
Expansion Pass Bonus
Three treasure chests with in-game clothing exclusive to the expansion pass will be added to the Great Plateau. Explore to discover their locations!
DLC Pack 1 – The Master Trials
The Master Trials pack includes:
- Trial of the Sword: Defeat all enemies in 45 rooms to claim your prize. You’ll begin the fight without armor or weapons and must defeat all enemies in a room to move to the next. Clear every room to awaken the Master Sword, so that it stays powered up.
- Hero's Path Mode: Hero’s Path mode tracks every step you take, so you can watch the last 200 hours of your journey unfold on the map, and use a slider to scroll through a timeline. This works retroactively, so players who have already started the game will also be able to use this feature. Use this to find those shrines and Koroks that are still eluding you!
- Master Mode: In Master Mode, enemies gradually regain health, so take them out as quickly as possible. All enemies are also powered up by one level. For example, Red Bokoblins in Normal Mode are now Blue Bokoblins. Enemies can also have higher maximum levels than they would in Normal Mode. Look up, and you may also find enemies and treasure chests in the sky!
- Travel Medallion: Somewhere in the world, there is a chest with a Travel Medallion inside. When you use this, you can register your current location as a fast travel point on the map. You can only register one location using the Travel Medallion.
- Eight new clothing items: Hidden around Hyrule are eight new items inspired by past entries in The Legend of Zelda series. Items include Majora's Mask, Midna's Helmet, Tingle's Hood, Tingle's Shirt, Tingle's Tights, Phantom Helmet, Phantom Armor, and Phantom Greaves.
- Korok Mask: The Korok Mask is also hidden in a treasure chest somewhere in the world. When Link wears this mask, it will shake whenever a hidden Korok is near.
DLC Pack 2 – The Champions' Ballad
- The Champions' Ballad: A mysterious voice beckons Link to challenge the Divine Beast Tamer's Trials. He must now prove himself by defeating enemies using the One-Hit Obliterator, conquering new Shrines, challenging a full dungeon, and overcoming many trials along the way. Once all challenges and trials have been bested, Link will obtain a new power known as the Master Cycle Zero! Additionally, the bard Kass is traveling Hyrule to complete the unfinished song his teacher left behind. As Link and Kass chase their respective goals, Kass will share new original songs he wrote capturing lost memories of the four Champions and Zelda, previously unknown to Link. But that unfinished song... What could it be? *To play The Champions' Ballad, you must first complete the Main Quest to free the four Divine Beasts.
- 9 clothing items hidden in treasure chests: Items honoring the legacy of The Legend of Zelda series will be hidden in 9 treasure chests scattered across Hyrule, including the Island Lobster Shirt, Ravio's Hood, Zant's Helmet, Phantom Ganon Skull, Phantom Ganon Armor, Phantom Ganon Greaves, and a Royal Guard outfit (complete with Royal Guard Cap, Royal Guard Uniform, and Royal Guard Boots).
- Ancient Horse Gear: The Ancient Bridle will increase a horse's number of spurs while equipped. The Ancient Saddle will allow you to call your horse no matter how far away they are. Both of these items will appear in treasure chests somewhere in Hyrule.
This game is compatible with amiibo.
Just tap in an amiibo accessory to score new characters, game modes, or other perks!
See all compatible amiibo
Figures shown not actual size and designs may vary. Compatibility and functionality of amiibo may vary per game. Software updates may be required.
…a watershed game... 10/10- IGN
...a truly magical work of art… 10/10- GameSpot
...you will never want to put Zelda down.- USA Today
WINNER: Game of the Year
-- The Game Awards 2017
WINNER: Best Action/Adventure Game
-- The Game Awards 2017
WINNER: Best Game Direction
-- The Game Awards 2017
Questions about buying digital games?
To purchase digital games directly from Nintendo.com and send them to your Nintendo system, you'll need a Nintendo Account. For Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, you'll also need to link your Nintendo Account with your Nintendo Network ID.
For step-by-step instructions by system, please click here.
You'll need a Nintendo Switch, Wii U, or Nintendo 3DS family system, a Nintendo Account (registered for use in the U.S. or Canada), Internet connection, and Nintendo eShop access to download the game once you've purchased it.
For help downloading a game, click here.
Yes. As long as you have signed up for My Nintendo before you purchase the game, your game will qualify for My Nintendo Points. My Nintendo Points are automatically awarded to the Nintendo Account that was used to purchase the game. (Please note that DLC items, passes, and themes do not qualify for My Nintendo Points.)
To see your My Nintendo points balance:
- Visit http://my.nintendo.com
- Select "Sign in."
- Sign in to your Nintendo Account.
Once you're signed in, you can review your My Nintendo points balance and history, check out the latest My Nintendo rewards, and view active missions you can complete to earn My Nintendo points.
You may also use My Nintendo Gold Points to purchase games for Nintendo Switch. Learn more about Gold Points.
For additional help with My Nintendo, please visit our support site.
Download codes are codes for specific digital games or content for Nintendo Switch™, Wii U™ or the Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems.
You can redeem your code here and send the content directly to your system.