Splatter enemies and claim your turf as the ink-spewing, squid-like characters called Inklings in Nintendo's new third-person action shooter game for the Wii U console.
Compete in four-on-four matches, in which the goal is to get your ink on as many places as possible and claim your turf, all while strategically submerging yourself in your team's colors and blasting your enemies. This is a colorful and chaotic online third-person action shooter – exclusively on Wii U.
New weapons, modes, maps, gear, and more have been added to Splatoon, with more rolling out through summer 2015. Plus, regularly scheduled Splatfest events let you choose a side and battle your way to victory with other players around the world!
Online* team matchmaking:
- Create a squid squad with your friends in Squad Battle mode.
- Join up to seven friends in Private Battles—you choose the map and the rules.
- Get teamed up with other players for 4 vs. 4 matches in Turf War or Ranked Battle modes.
- Ramp up the intensity with Ranked Battle modes which include three rotating modes: Splat Zones, Tower Control, and Rainmaker
- Play to win and boost your player ranking or level, or get in-game currency to spend on gear upgrades.
Think while you ink
- Strategy is everything. Defeat enemies to splatter them in an explosion of ink, covering more turf for your team. But choose wisely: Players who only go after the enemy might find their turf redecorated in their enemies' colors.
- Refill ink tanks, hide from opponents or move faster by turning into a squid and diving intoink with the tap of a button.
- Covering more territory with ink unlocks powered-up super weapons that can be used to attack rivals or cover more turf.
More ways to play
- Select between multiple control options on the Wii U GamePad controller, including using gyroscopic controls to look around, allowing for better aiming and control.
- Hone your skills in Octo Valley, the single-player mode that will have you inking, splatting, and squidding through platforming puzzles as you take on the Octarian army.
- Battle a friend one-on-one at home in a balloon-splatting contest in Battle Dojo.
- Wii U
- Release Date
- May 29, 2015
- No. of Players
- up to 8 players
* MSRP: Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Actual price may vary. See retailer for details.
* If eligible for a Just for You offer, the final price reflects the combined Sale and Just for You offers. The Just for You offer is discounted from the sale price.
*Broadband Internet access required for online play. For more info, go to support.nintendo.com.
Additional accessories required for multiplayer mode; sold separately.
This game is compatible with amiibo.
Just tap in an amiibo accessory to score new characters, game modes, or other perks!
See all compatible amiibo
Figures shown not actual size and designs may vary. Compatibility and functionality of amiibo may vary per game. Software updates may be required.
Splatoon keeps on getting bigger- GameInformer
More free content is planned for the rest of the summer and fall…Sounds good to me!- Destructoid
The best online game to come from Nintendo- Examiner.com
Nintendo's multiplayer shooter is wonderfully weird.- GameTrailers
Stands out as new and different- GameSpot
Splatoon has the same simple, clever design of Nintendo's best games.- Polygon
Just plain fun- Yahoo! Games
WINNER: Best Competitive Multiplayer Game
-- IGN Best of 2015
WINNER: Best Shooter Game
-- IGN Best of 2015
Questions about buying digital games?
To purchase digital games directly from Nintendo.com and send them to your Nintendo system, you'll need a Nintendo Account. For Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, you'll also need to link your Nintendo Account with your Nintendo Network ID.
For step-by-step instructions by system, please click here.
You'll need a Nintendo Switch, Wii U, or Nintendo 3DS family system, a Nintendo Account (registered for use in the U.S. or Canada), Internet connection, and Nintendo eShop access to download the game once you've purchased it.
For help downloading a game, click here.
Yes. As long as you have signed up for My Nintendo before you purchase the game, your game will qualify for My Nintendo Points. My Nintendo Points are automatically awarded to the Nintendo Account that was used to purchase the game. (Please note that DLC items, passes, and themes do not qualify for My Nintendo Points.)
To see your My Nintendo points balance:
- Visit http://my.nintendo.com
- Select "Sign in."
- Sign in to your Nintendo Account.
Once you're signed in, you can review your My Nintendo points balance and history, check out the latest My Nintendo rewards, and view active missions you can complete to earn My Nintendo points.
For additional help with My Nintendo, please visit our support site.
Download codes are codes for specific digital games or content for Nintendo Switch™, Wii U™ or the Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems.
You can redeem your code here and send the content directly to your system.