Nintendo Bringing Nintendo Network ID and Miiverse to Nintendo 3DS
A December system update for the Nintendo 3DS portable system will allow users to combine their Nintendo eShop account balance for both Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. Nintendo announced the news during a Nintendo Direct video released earlier today.
After the Nintendo 3DS system update, users can register their Nintendo Network ID for Wii U on their Nintendo 3DS systems and combine Nintendo eShop account balances. This will enable them to purchase Wii U software using the remaining balance on their Nintendo 3DS eShop accounts, and vice versa. Nintendo 3DS owners who do not own a Wii U system can also create their own Nintendo Network ID for the first time.
This system update will also mark the beginning of Miiverse support on Nintendo 3DS. With a Nintendo Network ID and a wireless Internet connection, users will be able to connect with players around the world to share their experiences and game tips through Miiverse on Nintendo 3DS. For more information and notices from Nintendo about the system update, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/nnid.
To view the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visit http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct. An overview of the news discussed includes:
Nintendo 3DS News
- • YouTube will be launching this month for Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo 3DS owners with a broadband Internet connection will be able to watch all their favorite YouTube content on the go, browsing on the bottom screen while viewing on the top screen.
- • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
- o Today, Nintendo showed a new trailer for the game, and the first of four 15-second mini-trailers for The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds debuted on Nintendo’s Instagram page .
- o Nintendo detailed a number of characters, including Irene and her magic broom; Seres, who is trapped in a painting; and Gramps, who can help facilitate battles with other players encountered via StreetPass. Also: Milk Bar confirmed!
- o On Nov. 22, a new Nintendo 3DS XL bundle will launch at a suggested retail price of $219.99 that includes Nintendo 3DS XL hardware with gorgeous gold-and-black coloring and the iconic Triforce on the exterior, as well as a download code for The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.
- o The game launches in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nov. 22 at a suggested retail price of $39.99.
- • Exclusive SpotPass Content at Nintendo Zone Locations : Anyone with a Nintendo 3DS who visits a Nintendo Zone location can receive StreetPass Mii Plaza data from the last six players to visit that location. Exclusive SpotPass content will be available at Nintendo Zone locations in November for Nintendo 3DS owners who also own the following games, including:
- o An Animal Crossing: New Leaf raccoon wall clock is available until Nov. 14.
- o An Animal Crossing: New Leaf cat tower available Nov. 15-28.
- o An Animal Crossing: New Leaf rolling suitcase available Nov. 29-Dec. 12.
- o A Super Mario 3D Land Mystery Box starting Nov. 22.
- • Mario Party: Island Tour : The game offers seven new game boards and 80 new mini-games, including some that use the motion controls of Nintendo 3DS, and the ability for four Nintendo 3DS owners to play all multiplayer game content with only one copy of the game via Download Play. The single player Bowser’s Tower has players playing through 30 floors of mini-games, with a boss battle every fifth floor. Additionally, players also can engage with other players who also have the game in StreetPass mini-game competitions. The game launches in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nov. 22 at a suggested retail price of $39.99.
- • The new Kirby game for Nintendo 3DS has a name: Kirby: Triple Deluxe. More information about the game will be announced in the future.
- • Bravely Default : A Collector’s Edition of the game will be available exclusively at select retailers. The bundle includes the game, an art book, a soundtrack CD and 34 augmented-reality cards. The Collector’s Edition and standard version of the game both launch on Feb. 7.
- • Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy: The final game in the second Professor Layton trilogy launches in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Feb. 28.
Wii U News
- • Super Mario 3D World : Nintendo announced new information about Super Mario 3D World, including the ability to play as Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy, a Luigi Bros. bonus game that is more easily accessed for players who have New Super Luigi U save data on their systems and Captain Toad levels, which challenge players to collect five stars without jumping.
- • Pikmin 3 Downloadable Content : On Dec. 2, a third round of new Mission Mode stages is on the way that challenges players to lead their Pikmin efficiently to complete as many tasks as possible within the time limit. The eight new stages that will be available for purchase include four “Collect Treasure” stages and four “Battle Enemies” stages with locations as varied as beaches, the inside of someone’s house during a party, a construction site and a mysterious factory. In one stage players can control Captain Olimar, the main character from Pikmin and Pikmin 2. Louie even makes an appearance. The third round of Pikmin 3 Mission Mode downloadable stages will be available in the Nintendo eShop for $4.99. A software update is required to play the new stages. People who update their software will receive one “Collect Treasures” stage and one “Battle Enemies” stage for free.
- • Animal Crossing Plaza : The Wii U gathering place for Animal Crossing fans is being upgraded with two new features:
- o After users perform a software update, they can customize their Miiverse posts using 50 different Animal Crossing stamps. Users can combine multiple stamps or add hand-drawn messages to decorate posts they have already stamped. They can even partially erase a stamp and redraw it any way they like.
- o Nintendo is also adding a ranking feature to display the results of monthly polls. November’s question is “Who would make the best secretary?” and December’s theme will be “Who is the neighbor of the year?”
- o Additional features, including the ability to register and interact with your town residents, are also being added.
- • YouTube Application Update: After users perform a software update, they will be able to use the YouTube application to watch videos on the GamePad controller or search for YouTube content while another video is playing on the TV.
- • Wii Fit U : A free trial of the game is available in the Nintendo eShop now through Jan. 31. Wii U owners with a Wii Balance Board accessory and a broadband Internet connection can download the trial and play it for free for 31 days. Users can make the trial permanent by buying and syncing a Fit Meter to the software. Fit Meter accessories are available at a suggested retail price of $19.99. The full Wii Fit U game launches in stores on Jan. 10, just in time to help people fulfill their fitness-related New Year’s resolutions.
Remember that Wii U and Nintendo 3DS feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu or http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.
Nintendo Gives Wii Remote Plus Controller the Royal Treatment
Nintendo hereby announces a new Wii Remote Plus controller styled in the royal fashion of Princess Peach. The pink controller features many touches that pay homage to the Mushroom Kingdom's most powerful heroine, who recently starred in the Super Mario 3D World game for the Wii U console. Read more...
New Championship Mode Brings Nostalgic Competition to NES Remix 2
A new mode inspired by the iconic 1990 Nintendo World Championship event is making its way into the upcoming NES Remix 2 game, launching exclusively in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U on April 25. Read more...
Live a Life You Never Imagined in a Hilarious and Unpredictable New World From Nintendo
Take all your preconceived notions about life's possibilities, crumple them into a ball and toss them out the window. It's time to star in a whole new life. On June 6, visit the outrageously bizarre island world of Tomodachi Life for the Nintendo 3DS system. Read more...
Super Smash Bros. Blowout! Nintendo Direct Video Details Wii U and Nintendo 3DS Games
A new Nintendo Direct video revealed numerous details about the upcoming Super Smash Bros. video games for the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems. Read more...
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Update Announcement
Starting on April 3rd, 2014, Nintendo will begin distributing an update (Update Ver. 1.1.0) for the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze game. Please launch the game on a Wii U console that is already connected to the Internet to download the update data. Read more...