Nintendo Showcases a Wide Variety of Indie Games at This Year's IndieCade
Nintendo is actively reaching out to indie game developers and offering them a home on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. At this year's IndieCade, the annual international festival of independent games in Los Angeles, Nintendo will be highlighting a wealth of indie games in its booth, as well as hosting a panel on how independent game developers can bring their creations to the Nintendo eShop.
"The Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games showcased in this year's Nintendo IndieCade booth represent the cutting edge of creativity and innovation for indie game development," said Steve Singer, vice president of Licensing at Nintendo of America. "They also represent some of the highest rated and respected games currently being produced. Nintendo is embracing developers who are extremely passionate, letting them freely harness the tools available on Nintendo platforms to create fantastic and unique experiences. We are helping independent developers bring their creative visions to life and into consumers’ hands to enjoy."
Visitors to the Nintendo booth will be able to get their hands on the following Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games:
- • 1,001 Spikes by Nicalis: Using 1,001 lives to clear more than 100 levels, players must overcome devious traps and cleverly designed levels that will test their skills, reflexes and patience.
- • Armillo by Fuzzy Wuzzy Games: Armillo is a unique platforming game with a sci-fi theme that stars an armadillo. Traverse spherical worlds in a mix of platforming battles and speed to defeat the robotic Darkbots.
- • Knytt Underground by Ripstone: Knytt Underground is the latest entry in the acclaimed Knytt series of thrilling platform games, focusing on precise platforming with zen-like game play.
- • Pier Solar and the Great Architects by WaterMelon Co.: Pier Solar and the Great Architects is an original, classic role-playing game with an epic story, more than 50 hours of game play and a massive world to explore.
- • Q.U.B.E. by Toxic Games: The critically acclaimed Q.U.B.E. is a first-person game that presents the player with a series of brain-teasing puzzles. Written by three students, the game asks players to use high-tech gloves to manipulate different types of cubes in the environment.
- • Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails by Dakko Dakko: With frenetic game play viewed from above and a striking blend of 2D and 3D graphics, Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails is a shoot-'em-up platform game with a character all its own.
- • Shovel Knight by Yacht Club Games: A mashup of old and new, Shovel Knight is a classic platformer with awesome game play, memorable characters and an 8-bit retro aesthetic.
- • Tengami by Nyamyam: Tengami is a gorgeous, atmospheric point and touch adventure game set inside a Japanese pop-up book.
- • Teslagrad by Rain AS: A beautiful side-scrolling platformer set in a steampunk world, Teslagrad features open-world game play and a hand-drawn art style.
- • Unepic by EnjoyUp Games: The award-winning Unepic follows unlikely hero Daniel as he journey through a giant castle to destroy an evil force. The game blends platforming and role-playing game play in one adventurous package.
- • Wooden Sen'SeY by Neko Entertainment: Wooden Sen'SeY is an action-platformer set in a unique "Japanese Steam Rock" universe with tons of humor and multiple styles of game play.
- • Grinsia by Nicalis: Three treasure hunters search for ancient ruins in Grinsia. The traditional role-playing game is designed using classic, 16-bit pixel art.
- • Jett Rocket II: The Wrath of Taikai by Shin'en: Jett Rocket II: The Wrath of Taikai, a colorful, action-filled game, is from the creators of Nano Assault Neo and Art of Balance.
- • Retro City Rampage by Vblank Entertainment: Developed almost entirely by one person, Retro City Rampage is an 8-bit, open-world game that parodies video games and pop culture from the '80s and '90s.
- • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse by WayForward: The belly dancing, hair whipping Shantae is back in another beautifully crafted side-scrolling acton/adventure! Shantae must team up with her arch nemesis Risky Boots in order to save her land from a curse! Master the use of Pirate Gear, topple epic bosses, and save Sequin Land!
- • Siesta Fiesta by Mojo Bones: Combining various aspects of classic arcade game play, Siesta Fiesta is a vibrant action game that lets players bounce, boost and rebound across the island of Fiestaville.
- • Treasurenauts by Renegade Kid: Play as the famed Treasurenauts, as they try to collect enough treasure to pay for their escape from a perilous, uncharted island. Experience the single-player adventure or team-up with a friend for a cooperative multiplayer expedition.
Also playable at the event will be Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party by KnapNok Games, available for download exclusively in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U. In this game, players participate in fun challenges while sitting around the Wii U GamePad controller. No TV is required! The game is nominated for the prestigious "Best of the Year" award at IndieCade and will only be playable at KnapNok's booth.
In addition to the playable games, Nintendo's booth will also feature several of the aforementioned developers. Representatives from Fuzzy Wuzzy Games (Armillo), WaterMelon (Pier Solar HD), Nicalis (Aban Hawkins & the 1,001 Spikes, Grinsia) and Yacht Club Games (Shovel Knight) will all be attendance to show off their games and answer questions.
Nintendo's continuing support of these indie developers and games does not stop where its booth ends. Dan Adelman, manager of Business Development at Nintendo of America, will be hosting a panel entitled "How to Self-Publish Your Game on Nintendo eShop." Nintendo has enabled indie developers to self-publish their games for more than five years, but, to some, the process to release games on the Nintendo eShop on the Wii U console and Nintendo 3DS hand-held system is shrouded in mystery. The panel will walk attendees through the process of bringing games to the Nintendo eShop and review high-level business policies.
IndieCade is an open-air event that runs Oct. 3-6 in downtown Culver City, Calif. The Nintendo booth is located in the IndieCade Village at 9300 Culver Blvd., Culver City, CA 90232.
Remember that Wii U and Nintendo 3DS feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu and http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.
New Nintendo 3DS XL Bundle is a Dream Come True for Mario & Luigi Fans
The Year of Luigi continues into the holiday shopping season. Starting today on the "Cyber Monday of Luigi," a limited-edition, silver-colored Nintendo 3DS XL system featuring a fun image of Luigi running with his brother Mario is now available for purchase. The sleek system comes pre-installed with the Mario & Luigi: Dream Team game at a suggested retail price of $199.99. Read more...
Pokémon: BW Rival Destinies on Nintendo eShop
Starting on Nov 28th, you can follow the epic journey of your favorite Pokémon Trainer, Ash, in Pokémon: BW Rival Destinies on Nintendo eShop! Ten episodes from Pokémon: BW Rival Destinies, the Pokémon animated series, will be released on Nov 28th and then five more episodes will be released every week until Dec. 26, so be sure to visit the Nintendo eShop every Thursday to see what new adventures await Ash and his friends! Read more...
Coming Soon to the Nintendo eShop: Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo and the Rest of the Louvre
Nintendo has come up with some Nintendo 3DS software artistic enough to make even a 16th-century icon smile. For more than a year, visitors to the world-famous Louvre museum in Paris have been able to rent Nintendo 3DS systems loaded with software that serves as an interactive museum guide. Now Nintendo is making this software available to Nintendo 3DS owners everywhere. Read more...
Nintendo and Southwest Airlines bring friends, families and fun together for the holidays
Nintendo and Southwest Airlines surprised a full flight today, giving every single customer on board a free Wii U console. More than 100 passengers on flight 1883 from New Orleans to Dallas Love Field received Nintendo's HD video game system after they were greeted upon arrival by Mario himself. Mario surprised the customers with a special announcement during the flight, and Nintendo and Southwest Airlines representatives were on board to share in the fun. Read more...
Nintendo Turns Tryptophan into a "Trip-to-Fun"
Thanksgiving is all about spending time and having fun with family and friends. After eating a delicious turkey meal, what better way to change that tryptophan into a trip-to-fun than with an after-dinner serving of Nintendo? Starting this Thanksgiving weekend, Nintendo is offering a wide range of fantastic deals on both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS that are sure to make this Thanksgiving holiday one to remember. Read more...
Three Huge Franchises, One Epic Nintendo Launch Day
For any Nintendo fan, Nov. 22 is going to be one of the best days of the year. On Friday, three new games in three extraordinary franchises are launching on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems. Super Mario 3D World for Wii U, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems and Mario Party: Island Tour, also for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, are all launching in stores and in the Nintendo eShop. Read more...