Nintendo Direct Video Details Newest Fun and Social Game Experiences for 2013 and Beyond
A new Nintendo Direct video revealed more than a dozen new ways that Nintendo is delivering both variety and value to consumers in 2013 and beyond. Nintendo unveiled key characters in the next installments of the Super Smash Bros. and The Legend of Zelda series, new designs for Wii Remote Plus controllers in honor of everyone’s favorite video game brothers and a variety of free and paid downloads to expand the enjoyment of existing Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games.
"Nintendo is delivering unprecedented value and variety to consumers this holiday season," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "From shaking up the way players enjoy the next Zelda adventure to providing fans with more content to enjoy in Pikmin 3, we’re always looking for new ways to deliver the best entertainment experience possible to consumers."
To view the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visit http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct. Today’s announcements included:
Wii U News
- • Super Mario 3D World: The game contains a ton of fresh power-ups, like cherries that allow players to duplicate their characters, in addition to the series-first Cat transformation. A new website for the Nov. 22 game has launched. Visit it here: http://supermario3dworld.nintendo.com .
- • Super Smash Bros.: Sonic is confirmed as a playable character in the upcoming fighting game, which is scheduled to launch for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS in 2014.
- • Pikmin 3: The game is getting a free software update (broadband Internet access required) that provides players with a new Mission Mode stage. Other new Mission Mode stages are now available for the game as paid downloadable content. Additional downloadable stages will become available for purchase in the future. The game update also improves the global ranking feature, allowing players the ability to see the world’s highest scores at any time. Learn how to get the update at http://pikmin3.nintendo.com/ .
- • New Wii Remote Plus Designs: Nintendo fans will have their choice of a Mario-themed controller or a Luigi-themed controller. These controllers will launch on Nov. 1 at a suggested retail price of $39.99 each.
- • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games: The game launches exclusively for Wii U on Nov. 15. For the first time in the Mario & Sonic series, players from around the world can take the action online and compete with others from around the world (broadband Internet access required). Four events are playable online: Ski Cross, Snowboard Cross and Short Track Speed Skating, in addition to Winter Sports Champion Race, a Dream Event that combines Skiing, Ice Skating, Bobsleigh and Snowboard into a single event. Every time players win a medal in online game play, they will win points for their home country. The points can be viewed through persistent online rankings. The game will be available as standalone software in the Nintendo eShop and in stores for a suggested retail price of $49.99, or bundled with a Wii Remote Plus controller (which is required for some events) at a suggested retail price of $59.99.
- • Wii Party U: House Party mode places the focus on the Wii U system’s GamePad controller and couples its use with the Wii Remote controllers in unique, engaging and social ways. In Water Runners, for example, players scoop water from a stream displayed on the GamePad and must skillfully carry the water to a pitcher displayed on the TV. The game launches Oct. 25. The physical version of the game includes a Wii Remote Plus controller and the new Horizontal Stand for the Wii U GamePad, which allows players to use the GamePad in a more balanced and comfortable fashion with GamePad-exclusive Tabletop games such as Tabletop Baseball.
- • October Third-Party Releases: Key third-party releases for Wii U in October include Just Dance 2014 from Ubisoft (Oct. 8), Skylanders SWAP Force from Activision Publishing (Oct. 13), LEGO Marvel Super Heroes from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Oct. 22), Batman: Arkham Origins from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Oct. 25), Sonic Lost World from SEGA (Oct. 29) and Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag from Ubisoft (Oct. 29).
- • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: In order to deliver the optimum gaming experience for fans, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze will now launch in February 2014. Developed by Retro Studios, the series’ first Wii U installment stars Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong as they go head-to-head against invaders from the northern seas who have taken over Donkey Kong Island. Featuring intense side-scrolling action with dynamic camera angles, cooperative play for up to two players and beautiful HD graphics, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is the coolest Donkey Kong Country adventure yet.
Nintendo 3DS News
- • A New Kirby Game: A new side-scrolling installment in the Kirby series launches in 2014, and features Kirby moving not only from left to right, but also from the foreground to the background. Kirby also gets an "inhale everything" ability that can be used in specific parts of each stage to help him clear anything blocking his path. More details about this game will be available in the future.
- • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: Many of the most essential items in the game will be available early on at a shop run by a new character named Ravio. Ravio lets players rent or buy items before they head off to their next dungeon adventure, meaning players will have more freedom to explore dungeons in the order they want. The game launches in stores and the Nintendo eShop on Nov. 22 at a suggested retail price of $39.99.
- • Bravely Default: This highly acclaimed fantasy role-playing game developed by Square Enix introduces a new battle system, bringing deep, strategic combat to Nintendo 3DS. Bravely Default will launch in the first quarter of 2014, and will feature an updated UI system and new content not included in the original Japanese release. A new trailer providing an updated look at the game is now available at www.nintendo.com , www.youtube.com/nintendo and in the Nintendo eShop.
- • Animal Crossing: New Leaf: The Nintendo Direct video offers owners of Animal Crossing: New Leaf a QR Code featuring a pattern of the shirt that Link wears at the beginning of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. Players just need to go to the Able Sisters shop in their towns and ask to use the sewing machine. Then they can scan the QR Code with their Nintendo 3DS systems to get the in-game shirt. Fans who want to access the QR Code can view the Nintendo Direct at www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct and pause the video during the Animal Crossing: New Leaf segment.
- • Exclusive Nintendo Zone StreetPass Offers: A previous Nintendo Direct announced that Nintendo 3DS owners who have enabled the StreetPass feature and visit Nintendo Zone locations would receive StreetPass data from the previous visitor. Later this month, owners will receive data from the last six visitors, making it even easier for them to maximize their connections. Throughout 2013, Nintendo is offering free exclusive content to Nintendo 3DS owners at Nintendo Zone locations, including:
- • Available now through Oct. 14: Fedora Chair furniture for Animal Crossing: New Leaf owners. A Sushi Platter will become available starting on Oct. 15.
- • Additional content for Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Super Mario 3D Land, as well as special Gold Pants Mii character distributions, will become available later this year.
- • October Third-Party Releases: Key third-party releases for Nintendo 3DS in October include Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl from ATLUS (Oct.1), Skylanders SWAP Force from Activision Publishing (Oct. 13), LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - Universe in Peril from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Oct. 22), Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Oct. 25) and Sonic Lost World from SEGA (Oct. 29). In anticipation of the game’s Oct. 24 release, a demo version of Nintendo eShop exclusive Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -Dual Destinies is available for download in the Nintendo eShop.
- • Wii U System Update: A new Wii U system update is now available for download. The update delivers the ability to output audio and video to the GamePad in Wii Mode, a more streamlined experience when adding Friends and other improvements. For a full list of changes, please visit http://support.nintendo.com/wiiu/updatesummary .
Remember that Wii and Nintendo 3DS feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu or http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.
It's a Yoshi Eggs-travaganza
You're invited...to a Yoshi egg hunt! We've hidden Yoshi eggs all over for you to find, starting this weekend. Read more...
Nintendo Gives Wii Remote Plus Controller the Royal Treatment
Nintendo hereby announces a new Wii Remote Plus controller styled in the royal fashion of Princess Peach. The pink controller features many touches that pay homage to the Mushroom Kingdom's most powerful heroine, who recently starred in the Super Mario 3D World game for the Wii U console. Read more...
Nintendo Cuts the Prices of Five Great Nintendo 3DS Games
Five great Nintendo 3DS games, including the top three best-selling Nintendo 3DS games of all time, are getting a new lower price. Together these five games have sold more than 9 million combined physical and digital units in the United States alone, and represent some of the most fun game experiences available today. Read more...
New Championship Mode Brings Nostalgic Competition to NES Remix 2
A new mode inspired by the iconic 1990 Nintendo World Championship event is making its way into the upcoming NES Remix 2 game, launching exclusively in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U on April 25. Read more...
Live a Life You Never Imagined in a Hilarious and Unpredictable New World From Nintendo
Take all your preconceived notions about life's possibilities, crumple them into a ball and toss them out the window. It's time to star in a whole new life. On June 6, visit the outrageously bizarre island world of Tomodachi Life for the Nintendo 3DS system. Read more...
Super Smash Bros. Blowout! Nintendo Direct Video Details Wii U and Nintendo 3DS Games
A new Nintendo Direct video revealed numerous details about the upcoming Super Smash Bros. video games for the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems. Read more...