Nintendo Introduces New Social Entertainment Experiences at E3 Expo
For decades, Nintendo has endeavored to provide the most creative and immersive experiences in the world of video games and to lead the industry in new directions. At its media briefing in advance of the E3 Expo, the video game industry's premier trade show, Nintendo announced products for social entertainment that stretch far beyond the current notion of what a video game can be, all while continuing to provide avid gaming fans with the challenges and thrills they desire.
"Nintendo continues to challenge how both new and longtime players perceive – and play – video games," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "From modern updates of our most iconic franchises to the introduction of inventive devices, we are continuing to add entirely new dimensions to the video game experience."
A summary of Nintendo's major announcements:
• Wii MotionPlus: Nintendo's Wii MotionPlus accessory offers motion-controlled precision when combined with specially designed games. When connected to the Wii Remote controller, it delivers on Nintendo's promise to provide even more immersive physical reality in its games. The device senses subtle motion and can locate where and how players hold the Wii Remote controller in 3-D space. It pushes active gaming to new levels of immersion and a new standard of control. Wii MotionPlus will complement a host of third-party games launching in the next few weeks.
• Wii Sports Resort: Nintendo showcased the versatility of the Wii MotionPlus accessory in demos of some of the activities included in Wii Sports Resort, an immersive, expansive active-play game. Wii Sports Resort includes a dozen fun resort-themed activities that maintain the wide-ranging appeal that attracted millions to the original Wii Sports. Wii Sports Resort is easy to pick up and play, but comes coupled with deeper levels of play that are sure to challenge even the most experienced gamers with precise controls. The Wii MotionPlus accessory will help players come much closer to the physical reality of engaging in the actual sports. The Wii MotionPlus accessory launches June 8 at a suggested retail price of $19.99, and comes bundled with Wii Sports Resort on July 26 at a suggested retail price of $49.99.
• Wii Fit Plus: Wii Fit attracted millions of new players to the world of video games, and now Wii Fit Plus offers a range of new features and enhancements, along with exercises and balance games designed to keep workouts fun. Players will find an additional dimension to the Wii Fit experience as they easily set their own customized daily workout routines or choose 20-, 30- or 40-minute workouts based on how much time they have available. Users will also be able to choose from specialized workout routines that help players strive toward specific objectives, like toning tummies, tightening arms or even reducing stress. Workouts combine the original Wii Fit activities and selections from 15 new balance games and six new strength training and yoga activities. Wii Fit Plus will come packed with the Wii Balance Board accessory, and also will be sold separately as software for people who already have a Wii Balance Board at home. Both will be available in fall 2009.
• New Super Mario Bros. Wii: Developers at Nintendo have dreamed of creating a simultaneous multiplayer Super Mario Bros. game for decades. The Wii console finally makes that dream come true for everyone this holiday season. Now players can navigate the side-scrolling worlds alone as before or invite up to three others to join them at the same time on the same level at any point in the game for competitive and cooperative multiplayer fun in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. With the multiplayer mode, the newest installment of the most popular video game franchise is designed to bring yet another type of family entertainment into living rooms and engage groups of friends in fast-paced Super Mario Bros. fun.
• Super Mario Galaxy 2: This upcoming adventure for the Wii console marks the first time a second 3-D Mario game has arrived in the same console generation. In the game, Mario rides his trusty dinosaur companion, Yoshi, to new stars and the fantastic worlds found there. This 3-D platforming adventure provides longtime video game fans with a fresh round of out-of-this-world challenges in the style introduced in the critically acclaimed original. The game is planned for 2010.
• Metroid: Other M: Nintendo showcased a trailer for a new installment in its acclaimed Metroid franchise for the Wii console. Metroid: Other M marks an unprecedented collaboration with world-renowned developers Team Ninja, and provides fans with high-energy, action-packed game play as it delves deeper into the back story of famed deep-space bounty hunter Samus Aran. This game is scheduled for release in 2010.
• Wii Vitality Sensor: Nintendo's newest groundbreaking product, the Wii Vitality Sensor, expands the appeal of video games. It will initially sense the user's pulse and a number of other signals being transmitted by their bodies, and will then provide information to the users about the body's inner world.
Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi
• Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!: This game marks the third installment of this franchise and, more importantly, the first Nintendo DSiWare game to let players design levels from the ground up. Mario will need to dodge obstacles to confront his longtime nemesis Donkey Kong, but this time the players will have full control over where to set traps, enemies and a host of power-ups in the construction zone. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! will be available in the Nintendo DSi Shop beginning Monday, June 8, for 800 Nintendo DSi Points.
• Integrating Photos with Facebook: For its Nintendo DSi system, Nintendo announced the ability for users to upload pictures taken with the system's built-in camera and interactive lenses directly to Facebook. Using Facebook Connect, the integration will be available this summer with a Nintendo DSi system update, making it even easier for people to personalize and share their photos with friends and family on Facebook.
• Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story: Nintendo revealed Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, a new chapter to the popular role-playing franchise that places players into the belly of the beast – literally. Players will get to enjoy trademark hilarious dialogue in the fall of 2009 as they juggle two concurrent storylines. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is playable on the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi systems.
• Golden Sun DS: After going dark six years ago, 2010 will see a new dawn. Golden Sun DS updates the popular portable Golden Sun role-playing series with an impressive graphical style. This installment follows the story of the previous heroes' descendants and immerses players into the magic of its adventure by pushing the boundaries of intuitive touch-screen controls. Golden Sun DS is playable on the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi systems.
• WarioWare D.I.Y.: This game, which puts the concept of user-generated content on center stage, allows players to design their own micro-games from scratch. Every element, such as the characters, the environment, the actions and even the purpose of the micro-game itself, is controlled entirely by the player. Players will then be able to share their completed micro-games with other WarioWare D.I.Y. owners. The latest game in the WarioWare series is playable on the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi systems.
Nintendo-published games available to play on the show floor:
• New Super Mario Bros. Wii
• Wii Fit Plus
• Wii Sports Resort
• Sin and Punishment 2
• Endless Ocean 2
• Line Attack Heroes
• Span Smasher
• PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit
• You, Me & the Cubes
• Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
• Icarian: Kindred Spirits
• Sword & Soldiers
• Military Madness: Nectaris
• Cave Story
• The Legendary Starfy
• The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
• Fossil Fighters
• Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
• Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
• Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
• Style Savvy
• Glory of Heracles
• Golden Sun DS
• Picross 3D
• Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!
• Flipnote Studio
• Animal Crossing Clock
• Animal Crossing Calculator
• Photo Clock
• Mario Clock
• Mario Calculator
• Six in One Translator (working title)
• Crash-Course Domo
• White-Water Domo
• Hard-Hat Domo
• Rock-n-Roll Domo
• Pro-Putt Domo
Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.
About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii, Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo has sold more than 2.9 billion video games and more than 496 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii, Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi, as well as the Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Super NES, Nintendo 64 and Nintendo GameCube. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokémon. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, visit the company's Web site at www.nintendo.com.
Donkey Kong Country Returns is Back and Optimized for Portable Play
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, launching May 24 for the Nintendo 3DS system, includes all the memorable, adventure-filled moments in the well-received Donkey Kong Country Returns game for Wii, but also offers players a host of new features that were not available in the original Wii game and a beautiful new 3D makeover that makes the graphics look more impressive than ever before. Read more...
Buy Two Kirby Titles, Get a Third Free
We're happy to announce the release of three classic Kirby? titles for Wii U. As a bonus for fans, we're making it easy to get them all at a great price. Now through 9 a.m. PT on May 30, when you purchase two titles, you'll get the third free. Read more...
HEY, PAY ATTENTION! CROWDFARTER LAUNCHES TO HELP BRING WARIO'S DREAM GAME TO REALITY!
We here at WarioWare, Inc., are working with our fearless leader, Wario, to create his new Wii U game, Game & Wario -- a game that can only be described as incredible, amazing, stupendous... and a bunch of other adjectives! To help Wario achieve his dream of funding this awesome game by his target launch date of June 23, he has created his own special crowdsourcing site called Crowdfarter.com. Read more...
Nintendo Partners with SEGA and Announces Wii U Games Shown at E3 2013
The next title in SEGA's Sonic the Hedgehog franchise will be exclusive to Nintendo's Wii U home console and Nintendo 3DS portable system. Nintendo Global President Satoru Iwata announced the details of a new partnership with SEGA during a new Nintendo Direct video announcement today. Read more...
Major Wii U update adds new services and features, faster performance
The next major system update for Nintendo?s Wii U home console after launch is now available for download. The update delivers a host of new services and enhanced features, such as improved stability and performance, as well as faster load times when switching between applications. The update also lays the groundwork for the imminent launch of the Wii U Virtual Console service. Wii U owners also will soon see the launch of Wii U Panorama View. Read more...
Shutdown of Wii Channels
Wii Network Service Partial Discontinuation Read more...