How to play Wii games on Wii U
Enjoy nearly all of your existing Wii games on your new Wii U console
Wii Menu is built in to Wii U. It allows for backwards compatibility with Wii game discs, saved game data, and purchased WiiWare and Virtual Console games on your new Wii U console.
- Wii games cannot be controlled with the Wii U GamePad. Use your existing Wii controllers to play.
- Wii games will not display in HD on the Wii U console.
Wii Remote and Wii Remote Plus controllers, the Sensor Bar, the Wii Balance Board and many other Wii accessories can be used with Wii U.
How Wii Menu works
Fire up the Wii Menu application from your Wii U Menu whenever you want to play Wii games. Any data you transfer from your Wii console will be accessible here.
- Does not support Nintendo GameCube games.
- Except for the Wii Shop Channel and Mii Channel, Wii Channels are not supported.
- WiiConnect24 is not supported on the Wii U console.
Moving data from Wii to Wii U
Downloaded games, save data, and other info stored in your Wii console can be moved to your new Wii U console.
- Once the transfer has occurred, data cannot be transferred from the Wii U console to a Wii console.
What you need
Wii U console and Wii U GamePad controller
Wii console set including sensor bar and Wii Remote controller
SD Card with more than 512 MB of available space (sold separately)
What can be transfered
- Downloaded Wii games (WiiWare, Virtual Console)
- Wii, WiiWare, and Virtual Console saved game data 1
- Purchased Add-on content for Wii games
- Existing Wii Points 2
- Wii Shop Channel usage records
- Certain software, such as preinstalled Wii applications, cannot be moved to the Wii U console.
- Wii Points will be carried over to the Wii Shop Channel, accessed only in Wii mode. If you have more than 10,000 Wii Points, the transfer will not occur.
- Mii characters will move to the Mii Channel within Wii mode.