NINTENDO’S "SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL" TOURNAMENT
1. Tournament Overview: Nintendo of America Inc.’s (“Nintendo”) Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii (the “Game”) Tournament (the “Tournament”) begins with regional head-to-head single-elimination Tournaments to be held in Los Angeles on February 16, 2008, San Francisco on February 23, 2008, Boston on March 1, 2008, and New York on March 8, 2008 (the “Regional Tournaments”). Regional Tournament winners will advance to the Tournament finals (the “Tournament Finals”) to be held in New York, New York on March 8, 2008. Regional Tournament winners in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Boston will receive airfare and accommodations for two (2) adults (i.e., 18 or older or the age of majority for his/her state of primary residence, whichever is greater) to attend the Tournament Finals. The Tournament Grand Prize winner will receive (a) one (1) crystal Wii video game console with Super Smash Bros. character skin, and an extra Wii Remote and Nunchuk Controller (ARV $325.00), (b) one(1) copy of the Game (ARV $49.99), (c) an art piece inspired by the Game (ARV $300.00), and (d) a LG home theater system from Best Buy consisting of one (1) LG 42" 1080p Flat Panel LCD HDTV (ARV $1,599.99) and one (1) LG 400W XM Ready 2-Ch. Home Theater System (ARV $346.99). Please see www.nintendo.com for Tournament dates, times, and locations. All Tournament dates, times, locations, and prizes are subject to change without notice. Check http://www.nintendo.com/smashbros/ regularly for important details.
2. ELIGIBILITY: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN; PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE ODDS OF WINNING. THE TOURNAMENT IS OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 U.S./D.C. EXCLUDING PUERTO RICO. NINTENDO RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO ALLOW PARTICIPATION OR AWARD PRIZES TO ENTRANTS RESIDING IN OTHER JURISDICTIONS.
Participation constitutes entrant's full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules. Entrants must be eighteen (18) years of age or older (or the age of majority for his/her state of primary residence, whichever is greater) at time of registration to participate in the Tournament. Employees, officers, directors, and agents of Nintendo, Nintendo Co., Ltd., Best Buy Stores, L.P. or their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion, and fulfillment agencies (together “Related Parties”), or their immediate family members and persons living in their same household are not eligible to participate in the Tournament. Void where prohibited by law. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply.
3. How to Enter: Participants must be among the first two hundred and fifty-six (256) individuals to register in person at any of the four (4) Regional Tournament locations. Tournament registration begins two (2) hours prior to commencement of the Regional Tournament. No person may register for the Tournament on another’s behalf. Participation in more than one Regional Tournament is not permitted. First to come, first to submit a completed registration entry form onsite will be able to participate, subject to verification of eligibility. ENTRANTS MUST BE PRESENT TO BE SELECTED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST. Each selected entrant may be required to show a photo ID that must correspond to the name that appears on that entrant’s official registration entry form.All entrants must comply with these Official Rules, and any other Tournament rules and restrictions supplied by Nintendo upon registration. Entrant’s failure to comply with such rules will lead to his/her disqualification from the Tournament.
4. Determination of Regional Tournament Winners: Regional Tournaments will be organized and executed using a standard bracket process of single elimination. Tournament brackets will be determined by order of registration beginning with the first registered participant. Each of the 256 registered entrants will compete in head-to-head stock matches with only Nintendo provided controllers on the Battlefield stage with all items on, players only playing with the starting roster characters with default rules, which are set to medium. The winner of each match advancing to the next round as follows:
5. Regional Tournament First Place Prizes: Each of the Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and New York Regional Tournament first place winners shall receive entry into the Tournament Finals and a Five Hundred Dollar ($500.00 USD) Best Buy Gift Card. In addition, each of the Los Angeles, San Francisco and Boston Regional Tournament first place winners shall receive the following: hotel for three (3) days and two (2) nights (standard room, double occupancy) (including transportation to and from the airport to the hotel); round-trip airfare for two (2) adults (i.e., 18 or older or the age of majority for his/her state of primary residence, whichever is greater) to the Tournament Finals (airfare to include a coach ticket from a major airport near each Regional Tournament first place winner’s home, as selected by Nintendo); and $200 in vouchers for use at the hotel. (Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) for travel portion of Regional Tournament first place prize is: $1,800.00 USD. Actual retail value depends on the city of departure/arrival and dates/times of travel. Any difference between actual costs and ARV will not be awarded.) Nintendo will select the travel dates to, and accommodations in, New York for the Tournament Finals, in its sole discretion. Travel must be roundtrip. If a Regional Tournament first place winner is unable to travel on the dates specified by Nintendo, such winner’s prize will be forfeited and the Regional Tournament 1st Runner-up will assume the Regional Tournament first place winner’s prize, time permitting. All expenses and incidental travel costs not expressly provided for in the prize package described above, including without limitation meals, personal charges at lodging, security fees, taxes, insurance and/or other expenses or incidentals are solely the responsibility of the Regional Tournament winner. Travel and accommodations are subject to change and availability and restrictions, conditions and limitations may apply. Winner and guest must travel on the same itinerary and comply with all airport security requirements. Once the travel companion is determined that companion cannot be changed without the express approval of Nintendo (which may be withheld for any reason whatsoever). Nintendo will not replace any lost or stolen tickets, travel vouchers, or certificates. No responsibility is assumed for any cancellation or rescheduling of the Tournament Finals, in whole or in part. If the Tournament Finals are postponed or cancelled for any reason, winner will not receive opportunity to participate in Tournament Finals as part of prize, and the remaining elements of prize shall constitute full satisfaction of Nintendo’s prize obligation to winner and no substitute or additional compensation will be awarded.
6. Regional Tournament 1st Runner Up Prize: Each of the Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and New York Regional Tournament 1st Runners-up shall receive the following: a Two Hundred Fifty Dollar ($250.00 USD) Best Buy Gift Card.
7. Regional Tournament 2nd Runner Up Prize: Each of the Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and New York Regional Tournament 2nd Runners-up shall receive the following: a One Hundred Dollar ($100.00 USD) Best Buy Gift Card.
8. Regional Tournament 3rd Runner Up Prize: Each of the Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and New York Regional Tournament 3rd Runners-up shall receive the following: a Fifty Dollar ($50.00 USD) Best Buy Gift Card.
9. Regional Tournament Participant Prizes: Each of the Regional Tournament participants (maximum of 256 at each of the four Regional Tournament locations) shall receive the following: a Ten Dollar ($10.00 USD) Best Buy Gift Card.
10. Determination of Tournament Finals Winner: The Tournament Finals will be organized and executed using a standard bracket process of single elimination beginning with the four (4) Regional Tournament winners. Bracket placements will be selected at random. Each player will compete in head-to-head stock matches with only Nintendo provided controllers on the Battlefield stage with all items on, players only playing with the starting roster characters with default rules, which are set to medium. The winner of each match advancing to the next round as follows:
11. The four (4) Tournament Finals participants will be awarded prizing as follows:
Grand Prize Winner: The Tournament Grand Prize winner will receive (a) a crystal Wii video game console with Super Smash Bros. character skin, and an extra Wii Remote and Nunchuk Controller (ARV $325.00), (b) one copy of the Game (ARV $49.99), (c) an art piece inspired by the Game (ARV $300.00), and (d) a LG home theater system from Best Buy, consisting of one LG 42" 1080p Flat Panel LCD HDTV (ARV $1,599.99) and one LG 400W XM Ready 2-Ch. Home Theater System (ARV $346.99).
1st Runner Up: (a) Wii video game console with extra Wii Remote and Nunchuk Controller (ARV $310.00), and (b) $1,000 Best Buy gift card.
2nd Runner Up: (a) Wii video game console with extra Wii Remote and Nunchuk Controller (ARV $310.00), and (b) $500 Best Buy gift card.
3rd Runner Up: (a) Wii video game console with extra Wii Remote and Nunchuk Controller (ARV $310.00, and (b) $250 Best Buy gift card.
12. General Limitations for Prizes: No alternative prize, cash, or other substitution shall be permitted, but Nintendo reserves the right to substitute any prize with a prize of equal or greater value, should any prize become unavailable for any reason. Arrangements for the fulfillment of all prizes will be made by Nintendo. Prizes are non-transferable. All federal, state, and/or local taxes applicable to the prizes shall be solely the responsibility of each winner. The Regional Tournament winners will be identified upon conclusion of the final rounds of the respective Regional Tournaments. Each Regional Tournament winner will have five (5) days from notification to accept his/her prize. The Tournament Grand prize consists of specially made/customized items and will be delivered as soon as practicable by Nintendo upon verification/confirmation of the winner. Regional Tournament and Tournament Finals Runners-up prizes will be delivered within approximately six (6) to eight (8) weeks of verification/confirmation of winners. Best Buy™ Gift Cards are redeemable for future purchases in any U.S. Best Buy retail location or online at BestBuy.com® for merchandise or services only. Not redeemable for cash. Not a credit or debit card. Not valid as payment on Best Buy credit card. Purchases deducted from Gift Card until balance reaches zero. No expiration date, no fees. Subject to terms contained on Gift Card.
13. Requirements of Regional Tournament First Prize Winners and Travel Companions: Each Regional Tournament first prize winner will be required to sign and return a release and waiver, assumption of risk and hold harmless agreements, and where lawful, a publicity release, together with other such documentation as Nintendo may request, within five (5) days of acknowledgement that he/she has won. If a winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible (under these rules or due to a failure to comply with any of the other applicable policies, licenses, rules, and terms of service), or fails to timely return the completed and executed agreements as required by Nintendo, the winner’s status may be forfeited and an alternate winner may, at Nintendo’s discretion, be designated, provided sufficient time remains to verify alternate winner and ticket prize; otherwise, prize will not be awarded. Guests of Regional Tournament first prize winners must complete, execute and return a release and waiver, assumption and hold harmless agreements, and publicity release, together with other such documentation as Nintendo may request, prior to issuance of travel documents.
14. General Terms and Conditions: Nintendo and its agents may film, record and/or take photographs during the Tournament, and may use the resulting footage, recordings or photographs for a range of purposes, including, without limitation, for marketing and promoting Nintendo and its products and services. By participating in the Tournament, you grant Nintendo and those acting under its authority (and agree to confirm that grant in writing) the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right and license to publish, use, edit, and display any or all of the details of your participation, including your name, player name, photograph, voice and/or likeness, without further notice, review or approval, without territorial, time, media or medium or other limitations, for any and all purposes, including, but not limited to, marketing, advertising, and promotional purposes, except where prohibited by law. By participating in the Tournament, entrant agrees that he/she VOLUNTARILY ASSUMES AND ACCEPTS ANY AND ALL RISKS RELATED TO HIS/HER PARTICIPATION IN THE TOURNAMENT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY DANGERS, HARM, INJURIES AND/OR LOSSES THAT MAY OCCUR TO ENTRANT AND/OR HIS/HER PROPERTY DURING SUCH PARTICIPATION. Entrant further agrees that under no circumstances, including, but not limited to, negligence, shall Nintendo or Best Buy Stores, L.P., or their respective officers, directors, employees, shareholders, agents, successors, and assigns or any of the Related Parties (the “Released Parties”) be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages, including any injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons, including death, or property, arising in whole or in part, out of entrant’s participation in the Tournament or any Tournament-related activity, or entrant’s acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize, or for any printing, production, typographical, human or other error in the printing, offering or announcement of any prize, even if any or all of the Released Parties have been advised of the possibility of such damages. By participating in the Tournament, entrant waives any and all rights to bring any claim or action related to his/her participation in the Tournament in any forum beyond one (1) year after the first occurrence of the kind of act, event, condition or omission upon which the claim or action is based.
15. Winner List and Official Rules: A winner’s list will be posted at www.nintendo.com, or an underlying page thereto, at the conclusion of the Tournament. The Official Rules will be available at http://www.nintendo.com/smashbros/ during the Regional Tournaments and Tournament Finals promotional periods.
16. Copyright Notice. The Tournament and all accompanying materials are copyright (c) 2008 by Nintendo of America Inc. All rights reserved. Best Buy, the tag design, and BestBuy.com are trademarks of Best Buy Enterprise Services, Inc. All rights reserved.
17. Governing Law. The Tournament and these Official Rules shall be governed, construed and interpreted under the laws of the State of Washington. Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of Nintendo, which are final and binding in all respects. Nintendo reserves the right to change these Official Rules at any time, in its sole discretion, and to suspend or cancel the Tournament or any entrant's participation therein should viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond Nintendo’s control affect the administration, security or proper execution of the Tournament or Nintendo otherwise becomes (as determined in its sole discretion) incapable of running the Tournament as planned. Entrants who violate these Official Rules, tamper with the operation of the Tournament or engage in any conduct that is detrimental or unfair to Nintendo, the Tournament or any other entrant (in each case as determined in Nintendo’s sole discretion) are subject to disqualification from the Tournament. Nintendo reserves the right to disqualify persons whose eligibility is in question, who do not comply with these Official Rules, or who are otherwise ineligible to participate in the Tournament. If you have any questions about these Official Rules or the Tournament, please send them to the Tournament sponsor: Attn: SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL TOURNAMENT, Nintendo of America Inc., 4820 150th Ave NE, Redmond, WA 98052.